Acute Skin Trauma guidelines
- Daily wound care
- Use saline solution for primary cleansing of a wound.
- If there is an open wound/cut, it needs to be covered at all times. A covered wound heals faster.
- Use triple antibiotic to promote healing.
- Band aids should be used during the school day.
- Before every practice/game, wounds must be covered by the athletic trainer.
- Wash hands throughout the day.
- Shower with antibacterial soap after workouts.
- Never use the same pair of clothes twice if unwashed.
- Monitor wound/cut for pus or drainage.
- Monitor for delayed healing of a wound/cut.
- The use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol daily is not
- Do not share any towels or personal hygiene products.
The following guidelines are from NATA.org: Management of Acute Skin Trauma.